Have you ever had a project that is too big or outside your comfort zone and you have no idea where to start? I have no idea where you start either, but start somewhere. The point is that it doesn’t matter. Here’s some tips for when you have something in front of you but you don’t know where to go with it.
- Break it down. Break your project down into more palatable pieces so you can take one of those and start work on it
- Sketch. It doesn’t matter if it’s terrible and/or ridiculous. Get your ideas down and see where they take you.
- Make a goal. Sometimes knowing a reachable destination is enough to get your feet moving towards it.
- Brainstorm. Do this in a stream of consciousness style. Write down any bit or fragment that comes to mind. The connections could spark a great idea!
- Look for Inspiration. See what other people are doing. Don’t copy their stuff but see how you can adapt it into your own work.
- Find Bad ideas. Finding something you hate can get your mojo going on how you would fix it.
- Still stuck? Take a break. Your brain can get jumbled and fried. Taking a break can give you that breath of fresh air to come back and see the trees among the forest.